Sunday, October 24, 2010

Why we photograph

Photography for me is my therapy. As soon as I place a camera in my hands, I feel my stress dissolve with the first click of the shutter. Photography allows me to express parts of myself that I may normally keep hidden. I am able to hide behind the camera and let my photos tell the world how I am feeling at that moment.
      My life is so hectic, between school, work, friends, and family that I feel lost in the shuffle of my own schedule. Photography helps me slow down, I am able to concentrate on the composition of my shot, what story I am trying to tell, and how I want myself as the photographer to be represented with the finished image. This makes me slow down, so I am able to capture exactly what I want.
      Before I found my passion for photography I felt lost, and often convinced myself that people didn't care about me, but when I show my photos (that tend to be more personal then most people think) and they comment on them (in both good and bad ways) it feels like the people around me are finally listening to the stories I have to tell.

2 comments:

  1. The first paragraph makes for a good artist statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always cared about you and have seen the artist inside. I often thought the reason you were feeling "out of sorts" was because you were not involved in something creative. An affliction I have as well. As a chef, I have the presentation in mind almost from the start. How the food will look, how someone will feel eating it, the smell and texture. I often wonder if people think about the creativity involved, or do they just think of it as chicken. Just for the record, it is never just chicken.

    ReplyDelete